TA-RO-MA-BO – fundamental elements needed for efficiency and collaboration
TA-RO-MA-BO is a concept to describe the fundamental organisational elements that need to be in place to secure a high level of efficiency and collaboration in teams. The concept consist of four organisational aspects:
TAsk – Each organisation has a core task that the organisation must fulfil and be loyal to in order to fulfil the mission of the company,
ROle – As the task of the whole organisation needs to be distributed and delegated the organisation is divided into functions, teams and finally roles that each perform a more limited part of the task. For the individual employee role is the
central part that each employee is given. An individual can hold more than one role at the same time.
MAndate – To effectively work on the delegated task a role needs to obtain a mandate, i.e. ”the right to work on a particular task “. The individual holding the role need to use the mandate, otherwise it will be unusable and without benefit to the organisation.
BOundries – Functions, teams, and roles of an organisation are defined by their boundaries. The outer boundaries separate each entity from its surroundings and determine what belongs to, or does not belong to, the function, team or role.
When the TA-RO-MA-BO frame is in place the team can focus completely on execution of their task. A team that does that on a high level of collaboration will show these features:
- The task is in focus of the teams work, i.e. there is a shared understanding of the task
- The activities that are executed are data-oriented and based on assumptions that can be tested and verified
- There is a spirit of co-operation and collaboration
- The team has knowledge of and encourages each member’s unique competencies and capabilities. Differences and complementarities (not similarities) are positively confirmed and made use of
- The person who leads the work is competent in taking the leader role
- Those who are being led are competent in their roles
- The individual team member is willing to waiver their personal reward for the reward of the team solving the task together